Mellow onions and Swiss cheese make a mouthwatering combination in this favorite egg dish—Dorothy Smith, El Dorado, Arkansas
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook and stir red onion and sugar in oil over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove 1/4 cup; set aside.
- To the skillet, stir in the green onions, mustard and thyme. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat the eggs, water, salt and pepper. Pour into skillet, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Top with reserved onion mixture and remaining cheese. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Oven Omelet in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p53
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Swiss Oven Omelet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review