Mellow onions and Swiss cheese make a mouthwatering combination in this favorite egg dish—Dorothy Smith, El Dorado, Arkansas
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook and stir red onion and sugar in oil over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove 1/4 cup; set aside.
- To the skillet, stir in the green onions, mustard and thyme. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat the eggs, water, salt and pepper. Pour into skillet, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Top with reserved onion mixture and remaining cheese. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Oven Omelet in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p53
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Swiss Oven Omelet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 9, 2012
"I added some chopped ham and chopped peppers"