Swiss-Onion Potato Bake Recipe
When I was growing up, my mother told me I would starve my family because I didn’t like to cook. Thankfully, I enjoy it now! This flavorful side dish goes nicely with meat loaf.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk; pour over potato mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 171 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC