Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman stirs up a big batch of these tender drop biscuits made with whole wheat flour. They're yummy spread with butter alongside a bowl of soup or a luncheon salad.
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, onion salt
- and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in the cheese and onions. Combine eggs and buttermilk;
- stir into cheese mixture just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake
- at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 113 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.