Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits Recipe
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman stirs up a big batch of these tender drop biscuits made with whole wheat flour. They're yummy spread with butter alongside a bowl of soup or a luncheon salad.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, onion salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and onions. Combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving equals 113 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC