In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman stirs up a big batch of these tender drop biscuits made with whole wheat flour. They're yummy spread with butter alongside a bowl of soup or a luncheon salad.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, onion salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and onions. Combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p58
Reviews for Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review