Swiss Onion Bread Recipe
Our granddaughter, Lena, used this recipe as part of her 4-H project, and it was very well received. The slight crunch from poppy seeds pairs well with the creamy Swiss cheese.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Additional poppy seeds, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, onion, egg, salt, mustard, 3 cups flour and remaining water and sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise. Combine filling ingredients; spread to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place two ropes, side by side, on a greased baking sheet. Twist ropes together; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over twists. Sprinkle with a additional poppy seeds if desired.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC