Heidi Mellon of Waukesha, Wisconsin gets oodles of recipe requests when she serves this outstanding loaf stuffed with Swiss cheese and mushrooms. "It's excellent as an appetizer or served with pasta, chili or spaghetti," she informs.
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 block (8 ounces) Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut bread diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Place cheese cubes and mushrooms in each slit.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; cover and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds or until butter is melted; stir until blended. Spoon over bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Mushroom Loaf in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p46
Reviews for Swiss Mushroom Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review