Swiss Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices deli ham or thinly sliced hard salami
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs; set aside.
- 2. In a large ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- 3. Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 343 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein .
Reviews for Swiss Mushroom Chicken
"Yum! This was really tasty and easy. I used Panko bread crumbs and Jarlsberg cheese and followed the directions as written. I'm very pleased with this recipe and I will absolutely make it again!"
"This is a very simple recipe and delicious - I use a good quality imported ham. I have made it many times, and it reheats well."
"This is an excellent recipe, thanks so much! It's also very versatile. I love this recipe just the way it is, but sometimes I change it up a bit by omitting the ham and serving it with provolone or mozzarella cheese with homemade spaghetti sauce as chicken parmesan. Sooooo good."
"Very good, my family asks for it often and everyone asks for the recipe."
"This is such an easy and delicious meal. My family loved it! They went on all night how good it was. I did add some garlic powder & Italian seasoning to my breading. This recipe is a keeper!"
"We enjoy this. I always put the cheese on the meat and then the ham and mushrooms and more cheese. This way it sticks to the chicken instead of sliding off!"
"I made this reciepe many times. The key is to use a good quality ham. You can substitute boneless pork chops. Any hunters out there? Yes?...this is Great with Pheasant Breast."
"My family loves this! I now use the Foreman grill to first cook the breaded chicken. We don't miss (or need) the added fat."
"This recipe is easy and very dellicious. Sometimes I use provalone cheese instead of the Swiss. Our daughter is a mushroom lover and this is one of her favorites."
"Hubby loved it, I Loved it! A winner all around!"
"This is excellent! My entire family loves this and the kids even ask for more! That's a winner in my book!"
"A family favorite. My father can't believe we make this "fancy" of a meal for regular family dinners."
"Very tasting and real simple to make. One of my husband's favorites."
"Very tasty! Everybody in my family loved it!"
"This recipe is awesome! Instead of the crackers and salt, I used Shake 'n Bake and baked the chicken breasts while sauteing the mushrooms. I also used white American cheese because I didn't have swiss on hand. Near the end of the bake time I topped with ham/cheese and returned to oven until cheese was melted, then topped with mushrooms. Next time I'll use a better quality ham. This will become a regular to our dinner menu."
"this is ok"
"This is one of my family’s favorite recipes and I would make it every couple of months, but my husband likes to save it for more special occasions. The flavors are wonderful together. I make it with good quality deli ham, exotic blend mushrooms (Crimini, Shitake, Oyster), Townhouse crackers, and add a little black pepper to the crumb mixture. I don’t bother with broiling. I just leave a little heat on and cover the pan with a lid until the cheese melts. Heavenly!"
"looks very ducky!"