Swiss Meringue Shells Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Berries of your choice
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Drop eight mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 3. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Fill shells with berries; garnish with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 meringue cup (calculated without berries, whipped cream or ice cream) equals 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.