Swiss Meringue Shells
Folks will know you fussed when you bring out these sweet, cloud-like cups topped with fresh berries (or a tart fruit filling if you like). Crisp outside and chewy inside, these meringues from the American Egg Board makes an elegant ending to a company dinner.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Berries of your choice
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Drop eight mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into
- 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/2
- hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven
- for 1 hour.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Fill shells with
- berries; garnish with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 meringue cup (calculated without berries, whipped cream or ice cream) equals 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium,