Swiss Macaroni and Cheese
Whenever we visited my husband's good friend, his wife made this dish. I was too shy to ask for the recipe, so I came up with this one. It is very creamy and rich, with a mild Swiss cheese flavor.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small
- saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until
- smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper. Drain macaroni. Add to cheese
- mixture; toss gently to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 464 calories, 27 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.