Swiss Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the cheese, salt and pepper. Drain macaroni. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 464 calories, 27g fat (17g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Swiss Macaroni and Cheese
"Adding my star rating because it did not appear the first time."
"Nice twist on a basic pasta & white sauce recipe. I doubled the recipe and added a bit of shredded cheddar for more cheesy taste, but the Swiss still shines through. VERY tasty, I was licking the sauce off the spoon before I even added it to the pasta.A word of caution, stir the milk almost constantly while waiting for it to boil or it will burn."
"I did not like it, my husband and son did though."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.