Whenever we visited my husband's good friend, his wife made this dish. I was too shy to ask for the recipe, so I came up with this one. It is very creamy and rich, with a mild Swiss cheese flavor.
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper. Drain macaroni. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Macaroni and Cheese in Reminisce October/November 2009, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Swiss Macaroni and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review