Swiss Elk Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds elk steak
- All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, optional
- Cooked noodles
- 1. Dredge elk steak lightly in flour; shake off excess. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown steak on both sides. Place in a shallow baking pan. Combine the next nine ingredients; pour over steak.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until cooked to desired tenderness. If desired, place cheese over steak before serving. Serve over noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 419 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 1198mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 56g protein.
Reviews for Swiss Elk Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.