- 2 pounds elk steak
- All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, optional
- Cooked noodles
- Dredge elk steak lightly in flour; shake off excess. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown steak on both sides. Place in a shallow baking pan. Combine the next nine ingredients; pour over steak.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until cooked to desired tenderness. If desired, place cheese over steak before serving. Serve over noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Elk Steak in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p35
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Swiss Elk Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review