A creamy cheese sauce turns ordinary peas into a succulent side dish. I make this quite often for family gatherings, and it's always well received. —Lin Carr, West Seneca, New York
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss Cheese
- 3 cups cooked peas
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add the cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add peas; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Creamed Peas in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p147
Reviews for Swiss Creamed Peas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2014
"I happened to have peas and swiss cheese in my refrigerator, and the combination sounded good so I was happy to find this recipe. I used low fat milk instead of heavy cream to cut down on fat & calories. Turned out great!"