Swiss Cherry Dessert Recipe
MY BELOVED Swiss mother-in-law gave me this recipe years ago. It's quick and easy to prepare and, as she was so frugal, easy on the pocketbook! I've served this delicious dessert to groups, but it's best served individually. Laura Mae Peterson Salem, Oregon
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 to 3 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark sweet or Bing pitted cherries
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add bread cubes; cook and stir until browned. Remove from the heat; set aside. Drain syrup from cherries into a medium saucepan. Add cornstarch, sugar, extracts and remaining butter; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in cherries. Divided bread cubes among two serving dishes; top with the cherry mixture. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Cherry Dessert in Reminisce Extra April 1996, p47
Reviews for Swiss Cherry Dessert(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review