- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 to 3 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark sweet or Bing pitted cherries
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add bread cubes; cook and stir until browned. Remove from the heat; set aside. Drain syrup from cherries into a medium saucepan. Add cornstarch, sugar, extracts and remaining butter; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in cherries. Divided bread cubes among two serving dishes; top with the cherry mixture. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Cherry Dessert in Reminisce Extra April 1996, p47
Reviews for Swiss Cherry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review