Swiss Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add celery and onion; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. Mash potato mixture, gradually adding 3/4 cup cheese, milk, butter, pepper and remaining salt. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Swiss Cheese Potatoes
"I really don't understand the good reviews of this dish. I used more cheese than was called for, and we still thought this was extremely bland. We couldn't taste the Swiss at all! We were both very disappointed because it smelled delicious and actually took a while to make (on top of the rest of the meal I was making at the same time). Maybe I did something wrong? I've gone over the recipe several times and I don't see a step or ingredient that was missed. If I make this again, I'd try using a cheese that has more flavor, like colby or a mild cheddar."
"A nice twist on mashed potatoes! The flavor of the celery and onion combines well with the swiss cheese. Easy to make ahead of time and pop in the oven to warm before serving."
"Sehr Gut!!! I made a half-recipe of this and got the same amount shown in the picture...same casserole!!! I minced the celery and onion in the food processor, and, while the potatoes were boiling, I microwaved them until tender and drained them. I did use a little more Swiss cheese because we really like the cheesy taste. I made them ahead, microwaved them to warm them, and then put them under the broiler to brown. This recipe is definitely going into my keeper file! Thank you for submitting."
"Husband said it was a keeper..I think that says it all"
"Outstanding dish! My family loves it year round but especially for holiday meals"
"I cannot count how many times I've made this recipe since I saved it in my Recipe Box. We always have potatoes on hand and this is an excellent change from plain mashed potatoes, made nicer because you can put it all together early in the day for baking later when things get more hectic."
"I made this potato dish with our Mother's Day dinner. It was a nice change from the usual mashed or twice baked potatoes."
"Yum!! Celery and onion, what a nice addition to traditional mashed potatoes. It gave it a nice flavor. I will keep this in my recipe box!"
"I made these last night with the tenderloin roasters December/January issue. These were the best mashed potatoes I've ever had, in fact, I ate just the potatoes when I got home from work. Thinking using the rest make shepherds pie tomorrow."