Swiss Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add celery and onion; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potato mixture, gradually adding 3/4 cup cheese, milk, butter, pepper and remaining salt. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Swiss Cheese Potatoes(5)
Sort By :
I cannot count how many times I've made this recipe since I saved it in my Recipe Box. We always have potatoes on hand and this is an excellent change from plain mashed potatoes, made nicer because you can put it all together early in the day for baking later when things get more hectic.
I made this potato dish with our Mother's Day dinner. It was a nice change from the usual mashed or twice baked potatoes.
Yum!! Celery and onion, what a nice addition to traditional mashed potatoes. It gave it a nice flavor. I will keep this in my recipe box!
I made these last night with the tenderloin roasters December/January issue. These were the best mashed potatoes I've ever had, in fact, I ate just the potatoes when I got home from work. Thinking using the rest make shepherds pie tomorrow.
Made this with a beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner and it was great. Even my very pickey husband loved it. Warmed it up and had it again the next day. Easy to make.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >