Years ago, when I was searching for just the right thing to perk up a meal, my neighbor suggested these pancakes. They did the trick! Golden brown, crisp and cheesy, they make a deliciously different dish anytime of day.
Recommended: 43 Ways to Make Classic Irish Food at Home
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in the potatoes, Swiss cheese, onion, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Heat butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into butter and oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 16 pancakes.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Potato Pancakes in Country Woman March/April 2001, p33
Reviews for Swiss Cheese Potato Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review