Swiss Cheese Fondue
As cold winter blows outside, our Test Kitchen home economists suggest warming up with this rich and creamy fondue. Don't be surprised when the pot is scraped clean!
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups white wine, chicken broth or unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups (28 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cubed French bread
- Rub garlic clove over the bottom and sides of a fondue pot; discard
- garlic and set fondue pot aside. In a large saucepan over medium-low
- heat, bring 1-3/4 cups wine and nutmeg to a simmer. Gradually add
- cheese, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted (cheese
- will separate from wine).
- Combine cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; gradually stir
- into cheese mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture is
- blended and smooth. Transfer to prepared fondue pot and keep warm.
- Serve with bread cubes. Yield: about 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 206 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a