- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups white wine, chicken broth or unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups (28 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cubed French bread
- Rub garlic clove over the bottom and sides of a fondue pot; discard garlic and set fondue pot aside. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, bring 1-3/4 cups wine and nutmeg to a simmer. Gradually add cheese, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted (cheese will separate from wine).
- Combine cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; gradually stir into cheese mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture is blended and smooth. Transfer to prepared fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes. Yield: about 4 cups.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Fondue in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p180
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Swiss Cheese Fondue
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2012
"Not happy with this recipe - the cheese seized up and was basically unusable. It spoiled out fondue night!"