Swiss Chard with Beets Recipe
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 bunches Swiss chard
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced beets, drained and julienned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Cut stems from chard; coarsely chop stems and leaves separately. Fill a Dutch oven with water; bring to a boil. Add chard leaves. Return to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or just until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and chard stems in oil for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Gently squeeze excess moisture from chard leaves. Add leaves and beets to skillet; saute for 1 minute. Add lemon juice; heat through. Just before serving, sprinkle with feta cheese and walnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 172 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 791 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC