Swiss Chard Bean Soup Recipe
This hearty soup combines nutritious Swiss chard with other garden favorites. Its light broth is surprisingly rich in flavor and the grated Parmesan packs an additional punch. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven , saute the carrot, zucchini, yellow squash and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt, oregano and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chard is tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 94 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Swiss Chard Bean Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC