Swiss Chard Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven , saute the carrot, zucchini, yellow squash and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt, oregano and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chard is tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 94 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Swiss Chard Bean Soup
"Very easy and yummy. Can pretty much use whatever veggies and beans you have on hand."
"Wow, we really enjoyed this healthy soup! We substituted garbanzo beans for the great northern beans because that is what I had on hand. I made fresh bread with it - it was a delicious meal!"
"very colorful and so easy and quick to make, delicious"
"This was a nicely flavored soup. I did decide to add a cut up potato to it but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I will be making this again."