- 4 ounces Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Divide cheese in half. Cut half of cheese into 1/4-inch cubes; shred remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir beer into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Swiss Beer Bread
Sort By :
"The swiss is not very noticeable in the taste. I don't know if the amount needs to be increased, or a different kind of cheese should be used. The bread tastes good out of the oven, but a few hours later, had a funny taste. Overall it is similar to my usual beer bread (without the cheese), but less sweet. I also feel that there is something lacking in the depth of the flavor...like an additional seasoning, but can't quite put a finger on it."
"This bread is easy as it gets! And the flavor is outstanding. I bake A LOT and try new recipes nearly every week. This one goes in my keeper book!"
"This is a great recipe! I have been using this recipe for years with outstanding results. Depending on the season and occasion I have varied the cheese and beer type. As a volunteer food editor for Taste of Home I love recipes that use common items that I have on hand. This bread is great for a dinner party or a Sunday family meal."
"It wasn't greasy. It came out nice; however, it was just ok. I didn't really think that the Swiss cheese added anything much to it."
"I made this delicious bread tonight and it is definitely a five star winner. I followed the recipe to the letter and the only thing different is that it was done in 35 minutes. Good thing I start checking early. My husband could not gt enough of it. Five stars and five thumbs up. Here is the link to my review and picture:http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/896012/7767487.aspx#7767487"