Swiss Beer Bread Recipe
This recipe is a favorite because it isn't greasy like other cheese breads I have tried. It will not last long! —Debi Wallace, Chestertown, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Divide cheese in half. Cut half of cheese into 1/4-inch cubes; shred remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir beer into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC