Swiss-Barley Mushroom Soup Recipe
In this recipe, hearty barley and rich Swiss cheese add a flavorful twist to traditional mushroom soup. You'll find one batch of this filling soup goes a long way.
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms and onion to a bowl; set aside. Stir flour into pan drippings; cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in water until smooth. Add barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes or until barley is tender. Add bouillon, milk, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and pepper; cook and stir until bouillon is dissolved and cheese is melted. Add the mushroom mixture; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 463 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Swiss-Barley Mushroom Soup
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC