Swirled Spice Loaves Recipe
Pumpkin pie spice and molasses season these two down-home loaves from Nancy Zimmerman. "The tender marbled slices taste as great as they look," she write from her home in Cape May Court, New Jersey. "The lovely loaves sell well at bake sales, too."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat the eggs and cream; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Remove 1-1/2 cups batter to another bowl; stir in the molasses, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until blended.
- 2. Spoon a fourth of the molasses batter into each of two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Top each with a fourth of the plain batter. Repeat layers; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (2 slices) equals 139 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC