Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread Recipe
I call this my "hostess gift" pumpkin bread, but it's fantastic for any occasion at all. Swirls of cinnamon-sugar make every slice irresistible. —Shirley Runkle, St. Paris, Ohio
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, sugar and yeast. Beat in the warm water, pumpkin, applesauce and oil just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle; brush with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 201 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC