- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 to 20 drops red food coloring
- 10 to 20 drops green food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butters and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Stir red food coloring into one portion of dough; stir green food coloring into another portion. Leave remaining dough plain. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide each portion of dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-in. rope. Place a red, a green and a plain rope next to each other. Cut through all three ropes at 1-in. intervals, forming sets of three differently colored doughs. Repeat.
- Roll each set of doughs into a ball; place balls 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/8-in. thickness with a glass dipped in remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Swirled Mint Cookies
Sort By :
"This cookie was a pretty addition to cookie platters but made a crispier cookie than we like and was pretty labor intensive with the tri-color dough when your trying to make many different kinds of cookies during the holidays."
"They were just like press cookies. They were ok."
"Delicious -made for one of my cookie exchange, everyone love them and the colors are great"
"Delicious - first batch is already gone - will be making another batch tonight but will add a little bit more peppermint"