Swirled Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- Additional canola oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place or until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Knead 1/2 cup raisins into each; roll each portion into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Brush with additional oil. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Tightly roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°. Brush with oil. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 145 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Swirled Cinnamon Raisin Bread
"Makes THE best French toast!"
"Made this tonight, hubby made 1/2 without raisins and it turned out perfect, mine I added raisins but it ended up comically cavernous in the middle. (Says more about my baking skills than the recipe though!) Ours cooked in about 30 minutes; if I had let it go the full 45 that I had set the timer for, it would have burned. The nose knows!"
"Divine, easy recipe to make, final product is exactly what I was looking for."
"yummy....so good. I replaced the raisins with chopped prunes because it was all I had. I may experiment with whole wheat and maybe ground flaxseed, but there is nothing wrong with the way it is now."
"awesome bread,my children love it, I put chopped walnuts in with the cinnamon and sugar."
"Hands down the best raisin bread recipe I've found. Has the perfect amount of raisins and cinnamon and makes a good amount of bread, at two loaves (I freeze one after baking it). I use butter to brush the tops of the bread rather than oil. I also only put 1 tsp of salt rather than 2, but that's just me. Also it never takes my oven the whole 45-50 minutes to cook the bread, more like 30-40 minutes, but it could just be my oven."
"I made this bread this afternoon, it's AMAZING! Instead of brushing the dough with oil I used butter. Definitely will make again."