Swirled Chocolate Marshmallow Pie Recipe
I’m such a fan of marshmallows, I’ll eat a handful straight from the bag. Swirling a homemade marshmallow filling with cocoa creates a holiday-worthy pie everyone enjoys.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk cream and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Brush over the bottom and up the sides of pastry shell. Refrigerate.
- 5. Meanwhile, dissolve cocoa in boiling water; set aside. In a large metal bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, honey and remaining water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage).
- 6. Remove from the heat and gradually add to gelatin. Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and the volume is doubled, about 6 minutes. Carefully fold in dissolved cocoa, creating a swirled effect. Pour into prepared pastry. Cover and cool at room temperature for 2 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Swirled Chocolate Marshmallow Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC