Sweetheart Walnut Torte Recipe
I always donate one of these lightly sweet, heart-shaped tortes for our church bake sale. The congregation never gets to see it, however--the ladies in charge quickly put it aside for one of them to buy!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Walnut halves
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Grease two 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Line with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- 3. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Fold in chopped nuts. Spread evenly over batter, sealing edges to sides of pan. Arrange walnut halves over meringue in one pan.
- 4. Bake at 300° for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks. Invert so meringue side is up; cool completely.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until thickened. Fold in whipped cream. Place plain cake, meringue side up, on serving plate. Spread with half of the filling; top with remaining cake. Frost sides with remaining filling. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 294 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC