- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
- 4-1/4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (5.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 Nestlé Crunch candy bars (1.55 ounces each), crumbled
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine chips, 1/4 cup milk and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, whisk remaining milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick).
- To assemble, crumble half of the cake into a 4-qt. trifle bowl or large bowl. Layer half of the peanut butter sauce, pudding, whipped topping and candy bars; repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Sweetheart Trifle
"This is one of my favorite trifle recipes, the only think I do different is to double the peanut butter sauce!! Easy and delicious."
"We LOVE this. Have made it for several years, and for many family events. We use Heath bars instead of the crunch bars - love the way the toffee adds to it. Our son wants it for his graduation party this June, and we're going to use Reese's Pieces instead of the candy bars - more colorful, more fun. Thanks for the tip about packing it in...we usually make it in a very large punch bowl, so it's not been an issue before."
"My family requests this dessert for every family gathering=)...WONDERFUL"
"This was awesome! Everyone loved it!! I used chopped up Reese's PB cups instead of the heath bars."
"I kept the recipe the same with the exception of using two peanut butter chip bags plus 1 cup of cream and two whipped toppings containers. Helped the cause of needing more peanut butter with each delicious bite. It is a crowd favorite and request at all football functions!"
"First of all, I did not taste very much peanut butter in this. It's a shame, because that would have taken this from good to excellent for me.Also the directions should tell you to pack down the cake. If you just crumble it into a 4-qt trifle bowl, it will not all fit."
"I frequently take this to church potlucks. It fits into a large Tupperware bowl just fine. If I want to use my trifle bowl, I half the recipe."
"I really liked the peanut butter sauce, but I think I would try making it with vanilla pudding and brownie mix instead of cake mix next time. Just my personal preferences..."
"Super Rich... definitely a Chocolate/Peanut butter Lover's Dream! As mentioned by a previous reviewer, you must pack the cake down or it will not all fit. Instead of the nestle bars, I chopped up Reeses Peanut Butter cups! Great recipe!"
"I could only use half the cake, but my trifle dish may not have been 4 quarts. Still, it tasted very good and had an pretty presentation."