Sweetheart Scones Recipe
"I've made these tender heart-shaped scones many times for my family and for special occasions," writes Debbie Graham from Creston, British Columbia. "They are especially pretty when split and filled with colorful jam."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Red colored sugar, optional
- Cherry, raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10-12 times. Roll to 2/3-in. thickness; cut with a 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack. Split scones in half. Spread bottom halves with jam; replace the tops. Serve warm. Yield: 10 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 343 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC