I serve this heart-shaped meat loaf at least twice a month or whenever someone needs cheering up. Ground turkey and vegetables are nice additions. - Terri Hairston, Mansfield, Ohio
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Additional ketchup
- In a blender or food processor, combine the carrots, celery, green pepper and onion; cover and process until pureed. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mustard, ketchup, cracker crumbs and vegetable puree. Crumble meat over the mixture and mix well. On a greased broiler pan, pat meat mixture into a heart shape, about 1 in. thick. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; top with additional ketchup. Bake 20 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sweetheart Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p46
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweetheart Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review