Sweetheart Jello Salad Recipe
My cousin served this tasty salad to my family at a memorable Sunday dinner many years ago. I've added this special dish to my menu for Valentine's Day, but I prepare it for other holidays as well. It's so colorful that it adds a festive touch to your table.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 1. Soften gelatin in cold water. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring sugar and pineapple with juice to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add lemon and cherry juices. Cool to lukewarm. Whisk in cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Stir in the cherries and food coloring if desired. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into an oiled 13-in. x 9-in. pan or 8-1/2-cup mold; chill until firm. Serve the mold or individual squares on lettuce-lined plates if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC