My cousin served this tasty salad to my family at a memorable Sunday dinner many years ago. I've added this special dish to my menu for Valentine's Day, but I prepare it for other holidays as well. It's so colorful that it adds a festive touch to your table.
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring sugar and pineapple with juice to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add lemon and cherry juices. Cool to lukewarm. Whisk in cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Stir in the cherries and food coloring if desired. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into an oiled 13-in. x 9-in. pan or 8-1/2-cup mold; chill until firm. Serve the mold or individual squares on lettuce-lined plates if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Sweetheart Salad in Reminisce Extra February 1994, p49
Reviews for Sweetheart Jello Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2011
"I made sweet heart salad tonight for the first time in 14 years with my grandmother and it was amazing just as i remember it as a small child! i think im going to make it again next weekend for my friends party!"