Sweetheart Dessert Recipe
If "the surest way to a man's heart is through his stomach", here's a new sweet something to steer in his direction! Our home economists dreamed up this luscious heart-shaped dessert that will show your love how much you care right from the start. (Psst...any extra raspberry sauce will taste great on your family's pancakes or waffles the next day!)
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 scoops chocolate ice cream
- Fresh raspberries and mint, optional
- Place egg white in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the salt, cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time, on high until very stiff peaks form.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop meringue into a ball on paper; using the back of a spoon, form into a 5-in. heart shape, building up the edges slightly. Bake at 250° for 65 minutes. Turn off oven; open oven door a few inches. Let stand for 20 minutes before removing from oven. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir raspberries over medium heat until thawed. Combine cornstarch, orange juice and almond extract until smooth; stir into raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; chill.
- To serve, place meringue heart on a serving platter. Spoon ice cream into middle; top with raspberry sauce. Garnish with berries and mint if desired. Yield: 2 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Originally published as Sweetheart Dessert in Country Woman January/February 1996, p30
Reviews for Sweetheart Dessert(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >