Sweetheart Custard Dessert Recipe
Your special valentine will think you bought this gorgeous confection at a bakery! Kathy Zielicke of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin says, "This recipe may look difficult, but it really isn't, considering that you start with premade pie crust. I'm a hairdresser with an at-home salon...and I enjoy trying out my dessert creations on customers."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling YIELD:8-10 servings
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Roll out each pastry between waxed paper into a 12-in. circle. Using an 11-in.-wide heart-shaped pattern, cut each pastry into a heart shape. Place on greased and floured baking sheets; prick with a fork. Bake at 450° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Combine the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Cover; refrigerate until cool.
- 4. In a bowl, beat the cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk the lemon custard, then fold in whipped cream.
- 5. Place one pastry on a serving plate; spread with half of the custard. Arrange half of the berries over custard. Top with remaining custard. Arrange remaining berries over filling. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Drizzle over the top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC