Sweetheart Custard Dessert Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Roll out each pastry between waxed paper into a 12-in. circle. Using an 11-in.-wide heart-shaped pattern, cut each pastry into a heart shape. Place on greased and floured baking sheets; prick with a fork. Bake at 450° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Combine the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Cover; refrigerate until cool.
- 4. In a bowl, beat the cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk the lemon custard, then fold in whipped cream.
- 5. Place one pastry on a serving plate; spread with half of the custard. Arrange half of the berries over custard. Top with remaining custard. Arrange remaining berries over filling. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Drizzle over the top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Sweetheart Custard Dessert
"Very impressive dessert and easy to make. Made twice this February, will make again."
"I did this recipe last week I love it. I am going to sub. the lemon juice with pineapple juice....will do again!!!"
"I have made this dessert many times since it was first published in Taste of Home Magazine. It is not difficult to make, but is a bit time consuming. Everyone raves about how beautiful it is and it tastes divine!"