Sweetened Ricotta with Berries Recipe
Ricotta is a lovely "fast" cheese that can be made from whole milk, skim milk or whey. This creamy dessert is luscious topped with raspberries or strawberries. —Matthew Lawrence La Boucherie, Vashon, Washington
- HOMEMADE RICOTTA:
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat milk and cream to 180° over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in lemon juice. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes (milk and whey will separate).
- 2. Line a large strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour milk mixture into prepared strainer; strain for 1 hour or until most of the liquid is strained. Discard liquid. Wrap ricotta with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Squeeze out any liquid; remove cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine berries and sugar; set aside. Place ricotta in a food processor. Add honey and salt; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add cream in a steady stream; process until creamy. Serve with berries. Yield: 7 servings.
1/3 cup ricotta with 1/4 cup berries : 366 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein .
Reviews for Sweetened Ricotta with Berries
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC