"These pineapple coconut loaves are so good and moist that sometimes I don't even bother to glaze them," shares Sybil Brown from Highland, California. The golden bread gets its tender, cake-like texture from handy boxed cake mix.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 to 2 drops coconut extract, optional
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine sugar and milk until smooth. Add extract if desired. Drizzle over loaves; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Sweet Tropical Loaves in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p38
Reviews for Sweet Tropical Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review