Loaded with crunch, this sweet-tart slaw can be made ahead for a family gathering. There’s no mayonnaise in the dressing, so it’s perfect to take to a picnic. —Donna Sasser Hinds, Milwaukie, Oregon
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Add the carrot, green pepper and vinegar mixture to the cabbage mixture; stir to combine. Transfer to large freezer bags; seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Freezer Coleslaw in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p35
Reviews for Sweet-Tart Freezer Coleslaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review