- 3 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) pitted dried plums, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. Add sausage and onion to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Return beef to the pan; stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Surprise Chili
"Good chile. Added 2 teaspoons of flour to juices to thicken and reduced water for crock pot cooking. Even better day 2! Thanks for sharing."
"This was a great change of pace to our normal spicy hot chili. Everyone loved it and no one guessed the secret ingredient :)"