Sweet Stars Cake
TO TOP OFF your birthday bash just right, be sure to serve this star-studded confection from Flo.
Creating it is a simple task. "All you need for the cake are a boxed mix and a can of frosting," she details.
Even the colorful stars draped over it are a cinch. "You cut them from fruit snacks, using a cookie cutter," says Flo.
(In fact, our kitchen crafters point out that this idea can
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 package (5 ounces) Fruit Roll-Ups
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using two
- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10
- minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Spread frosting between
- layers and over the top and sides of cake.
- Unroll fruit roll-ups. Cut one blue, one green and one red star with
- a 2-3/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Center stars on cake. Cut
- remaining fruit with a 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place a
- yellow star in the center of each large star. Arrange remaining
- stars on top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: We use Fruit Roll-Ups brand, which has fruit pieces that measure approximately 5 x 5 inches. If roll-ups have precut designs in them, place unrolled fruit between two sheets of greased waxed paper. Microwave on high for 10-15 seconds. Roll fruit flat with a rolling pin. Remove waxed paper; cut fruit with cookie cutters.