TO TOP OFF your birthday bash just right, be sure to serve this star-studded confection from Flo. Creating it is a simple task. "All you need for the cake are a boxed mix and a can of frosting," she details. Even the colorful stars draped over it are a cinch. "You cut them from fruit snacks, using a cookie cutter," says Flo. (In fact, our kitchen crafters point out that this idea can be modified for all sorts of occasions just by making different shapes to suit, such as Valentine's hearts or Halloween pumpkins.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 package (5 ounces) Fruit Roll-Ups
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake.
- Unroll fruit roll-ups. Cut one blue, one green and one red star with a 2-3/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Center stars on cake. Cut remaining fruit with a 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place a yellow star in the center of each large star. Arrange remaining stars on top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Stars Cake in Country Woman July/August 1998, p42
Reviews for Sweet Stars Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review