Sweet Spinach and Mandarin Orange Salad
A refreshing citrus dressing accents the salad for my popular menu. I often toss in some meslun lettuce with the spinach and add apples for variety. —Arlene Butler, Ogden, Utah
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a blender, combine the orange juice concentrate, sugar, vinegar,
- onion and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady
- stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled.
- On salad plates, arrange the spinach, mandarin oranges and almonds.
- Drizzle with dressing. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 318 calories, 25 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.