I love the sweet and spicy flavors of Chinese food and decided to try to incorporate them into a meatball. The subtle tastes of the meatball blend well with the spicy Sriracha and sweet chili sauce. The garam masala adds a hint of coriander, black pepper and cinnamon for a unique and fun flavor. —Darlene Buerger, Peoria, Arizona
Recommended: 68 Slow Cooker Recipes to Warm Your Winter
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, garlic and pepper flakes. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, ginger and garam masala; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, coconut milk and chili sauces; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; stir into sauce mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in meatballs, pineapple and soy sauce; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Spicy Asian Meatballs in TasteofHome.com 2017
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sweet-Spicy Asian Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review