Sweet-Sour Vegetable Salad Recipe
Field editor Lucille Terry of Frankfort, Kentucky quickly assembles this marinated medley using canned veggies. "It's excellent for potlucks, accompanied by yeast rolls, corn bread muffins or Parmesan cheese squares," Lucille suggests.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) small peas, drained
- 3 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and halved
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (7 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1. For dressing, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 8 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 24 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 219 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 494 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC