Sweet-Sour Spinach Salad with Bacon Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, water chestnuts, squash, mushrooms, garbanzo beans and onion.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, ketchup, water, vinegar, garlic and salt. Pour over spinach mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 133 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Spinach Salad with Bacon
"This salad is great. I take it to church functions all the time. Everyone loves it and always asks for the recipe. I do substitute Splenda for the sugar and substitute almonds or walnuts for the bacon. To make it a meal--add beans."