THE FIRST TIME I bought a red cabbage, I didn't quite know what to do with it, but after some experimenting, I came up with this recipe. It has now become my fall "comfort food". This side dish is compatible with a variety of meat entrees, but I especially like it with a pork roast or chops. -Karen Gorman, Gunnison, Colorado
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, caraway and celery seeds; set aside. Place cabbage and onion in a saucepan; add a small amount of water. Cover and steam until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage in Reminisce Extra October 1998, p47
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review