Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage with Bacon Recipe
This crunchy eye-catching cooked cabbage is seasoned with a flavorful blend of vinegar, spices and bacon. Even when my mom fixes a big batch, the bowl gets emptied quickly. —Cathy Eland Hightstown, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large bowl, stir the cider vinegar and sugars until sugars are dissolved. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. In the drippings, saute apple and onion until tender. Stir in water and cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with reserved bacon just before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 96 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC